Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Robert Frost

How about we move on to another poem.

Here is my favorite poem.

"The Armful" by Robert Frost

For every parcel I stoop down to seize
I lose some other off my arms and knees,
and the whole pile is slipping, bottles, buns ...
Extremes too hard to comprehend at once.
Yet nothing I should care to leave behind.

With all I have to hold with hand and mind
And heart, if need be, I will do my best
To keep their building balanced at my breast.
I crouch down to prevent them as they fall;
Then sit down in the middle of them all
I had to drop the armful in the road
And try to stack them in a better load.


What does reading this poem make you feel?

What do you think it means?

Search and look for a poem by Robert Frost that you like and share it with us.

3 comments:

  1. This poem makes me feel sorrowful. It is as if no matter how hard I try, I will always lose things. I think that it is also a lesson. I think it is telling us to not hold on so tightly to everything, and that losing things is the way the earth works. We just have to deal with it.

    I don't have a Robert Frost poem yet, but i will contribute one soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My poem contribution is IN HARDWOOD GROVES

    The same leaves over and over again!
    They fall from giving shade above,
    To make one texture of faded brown
    And fit the earth like a leather glove.

    Before the leaves can mount again
    To fill the trees with another shade,
    They must go down past things coming up.
    They must go down into the dark decayed.

    They MUST be pierced by flowers and put
    Beneath the feet of dancing flowers.
    However it is in some other world
    I know that this is the way in ours.

    I like this poem because it makes me feel peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it too. Love how it describes the leaves going down ito the earth in the fall before they can come back up in a different form of new trees and flowers in the spring :)

    Nice choice.

    ReplyDelete